Re: DTrace probes broken in HEAD on Solaris?

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DTrace probes broken in HEAD on Solaris?
Date: 2009-03-17 13:49:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry for late answer, I was on vacation last week. I see that you
already fix a problem.

Answer why it happens when probes are disabled is, that for user
application there are piece of code which prepare DTrace probes
arguments which will be passed into kernel DTrace modul. This code has
performance penalty which depends on number of arguments.

See the code:

FlushBuffer+0x69: call +0x128c6 <smgropen>
FlushBuffer+0x6e: addl $0x10,%esp
FlushBuffer+0x71: movl %eax,0xc(%ebp)
FlushBuffer+0x74: subl $0x4,%esp

FlushBuffer+0x77: movl 0xc(%ebp),%eax