Re: add_path optimization

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kgrittn(dot)CCAP(dot)Courts(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add_path optimization
Date: 2009-02-03 15:43:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> I wrote:
> Ran it with this:

> effective_cache_size = 100GB

Actually, the timings shown in the previous post were run with the
default for this setting. I updated it after yesterday evening's
tests when I noticed I'd missed it, but had to leave before I could
rerun the tests. I forgot that until now. Sorry for the confusion.
Surprisingly (to me), this setting affects plan time significantly.
The 8.4devel with patch, statistics target 10, runs in an average
85.393 ms instead of the 99.421 ms I saw with the default.

The 8.3.5 settings were run with this set. Both of the plans attached
to the previous message were run with this set.

-Kevin