Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))
Date: 2009-01-22 16:13:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 16:15 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> That might be useful. But again, could just as well be implemented as an
>> external tool like pglesslog.
>
> There is no WAL record for "no-op", at least not one of variable length.

Hmm, maybe there should be? That seems like a useful thing to have for
external tools.

> The WAL files can't just have chunks of zeroes in the middle of them,
> they must be CRC valid and chained together in the exact byte position.
> There isn't any way to do this, even if there were, that's a seriously
> complex way of doing that.

Hmm, I think you could remove the records in the middle, rechain the
remaining ones, recalculate the crc, and put an xlog switch record at
the end. I agree that's seriously complicated, a no-op record would be
much simpler.

--
Heikki Linnakangas