Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2009-01-15 20:03:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> The real problem here is that the 'S' suffix for \dt is a bad precedent
> for everything else. If you want consistency then we need to change
> that end of things. I think that the idea of a switch to omit system
> objects, rather than include them, might work.

I disagree. Most users, most of the time, do not want to see system
objects. So all of the \d commands should omit system objects by
default, and we should have one consistent switch across all \d commands
to include system objects.

Actually, I personally would prefer a *general* switch, that is:

\system on
\system off

... which would turn on and off the display of system objects with all
\d commands, over extending \d with an array of Hungarian notation suffixes.

--Josh