Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)
Date: 2008-12-11 15:43:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Let me outline the simplest API, assuming we are using table-level
>> granularity for the security columns.
>> CREATE TABLE would support
>> WITH (ROWACL = TRUE/FALSE);
>> for row-level acl and:
>> WITH (SECEXT = TRUE/FALSE);
>> for SE-Linux, with 'SECEXTL' standing for SECurity EXTernal or
>> SECurity_contEXT.
>
> Wait a minute. The original argument for providing SQL-driven row level
> security was that it would help provide a framework for testing the code
> and doing something useful with it on non-selinux platforms.

Yes,
In addition, I want folks to remind that the Row-level ACLs are not designed
based on SQL standards. Thus, I called it one of the enhanced securities.

> I think there should be only *one* underlying column and that it should
> be manipulable by either SQL commands or selinux. Otherwise you're
> making a lie of the primary argument for having the SQL feature at all.
>
> It's possible that some people would want to insist that only selinux
> be used to manipulate the settings, but I think that could be addressed
> by a compile-time option to disable the SQL commands.

My original opinion is that users should be able to choose what enhanced
security mechanism is available on his system.
In all honesty, I don't understand why the Row-level ACLs has privileged
position in the enhanced securities and it should be always available.

Thanks,
--
KaiGai Kohei