Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo
Date: 2008-11-13 00:47:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrus wrote:
> I have separate production server running
>
> "PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
> i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 (Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0,
> pie-8.7.9)"

This is a bad idea. I run Gentoo at home on a workstation, and I like
the approach it uses. But it is really targeted to the individual user
who likes to be on the bleeding edge. *Everything* on Gentoo is
compiled from source; that's the whole point of the distribution. This
is not what you want in a production platform in a business environment.

You should be looking at a distribution that has a support package (even
if you elect not to use it), a minimum number of years that each version
will be supported, and a predictable maintenance schedule. You have
many to choose from: Redhat and its free derivatives like CentOS, Ubuntu
with its supported releases, etc.

To answer your question directly, you won't find a prepackaged solution
to running simultaneous version of PG (or any other software package) on
Gentoo. That's not how Gentoo is designed to be used. Having said
that, I remember reading about slots, which may allow what you are
trying to do. But I've never investigated.

--
Guy Rouillier