Re: Cross-column statistics revisited

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cross-column statistics revisited
Date: 2008-10-17 17:28:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> A bad estimate for physical-position correlation has only limited
> impact,

Ah! This seems very true with 8.3 but much less true with 8.0.

On a legacy 8.0 system I have a hard time avoiding cases where
a query like
"select * from addresses where add_state_or_province = 'CA';"
does a 2-second full-table scan instead of a 300ms index scan
thanks to a poor physical order guess.

I just sucked the table into 8.3 and am pleased to say that
it picks a 200ms bitmap scan even with the misleading correlation.

Thanks for bitmap scans guys!

I'll shut up about this physical ordering stuff now
and try to do better upgrading before posting.