Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?

From: Kevin Murphy <murphy(at)genome(dot)chop(dot)edu>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Mikkel Høgh <mikkel(at)hoegh(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date: 2008-10-14 14:59:14
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Mikkel H�gh wrote:
>
>> You are targetting DBAs using servers with less than 512 MB RAM. Is
>> PostgreSQL supposed to be used by professional DBAs on enterprise
>> systems or is it supposed to run out of the box on my old Pentium 3?
>
> you'll discover that the Linux default for how much memory an
> application like PostgreSQL can allocate is 32MB. This is true even if
> you install the OS on a system with 128GB of RAM.

One thing that might help people swallow the off-putting default "toy
mode" performance of PostgreSQL would be an explanation of why
PostgreSQL uses its shared memory architecture in the first place. How
much of a performance or stability advantage does it confer under what
database usage and hardware scenarios? How can any such claims be proven
except by writing a bare-bones database server from scratch that can use
multiple memory models?

-Kevin Murphy