Re: Proposal: PageLayout footprint

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: PageLayout footprint
Date: 2008-08-11 13:48:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> Similar is 32/64 bit compilation. It is handled on x86 by MAXALIGN but
>> MAXALIGN is same on SPARC for both binaries, but I'm not sure if it
>> works correctly.
>
> Are 32/64-bit binaries on Sparc incompatible, then? Does our control
> file check catch it? If not, what's causing it, and would the
> --footprint switch catch it?

It is what I don't know. controlfile only says "incorrect checksum in control
file". It seems to me that CRC computing does not work correctly. I check
pg_control footprint and it is same for 32/64. It seems to me a false positive
complain, but ...

Footprint switch should help show you why it is incompatible and also protect
you during development to break some structure.

Zdenek