Re: Proposal: PageLayout footprint

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Zdenek Kotala" <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: PageLayout footprint
Date: 2008-08-11 11:39:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> By my opinion -fipa-struct-reorg GCC option could break structure.

That option would probably break a lot of things. Like our
"variable-sized array as last field of a struct" hacks.

> And
> maybe there are more compiler magic switches and optimization on
> different platforms which can modify structure alignment or member
> order. It probably does not happen often but footprint should protect
> people to shot himself.

We depend on a certain member order and alignment rules. If we're
worried about that, we should add checks in configure instead, to barf
if you try to use such options.

--
Heikki Linnakangas