Re: Data warehousing - Greenplum

From: Charles Wyble <charles(at)thewybles(dot)com>
To: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group <lapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data warehousing - Greenplum
Date: 2008-07-23 19:32:53
Lists: lapug

Richard Broersma wrote:
> A request was made at the last LAPUG meeting regarding scheduling
> Greenplum to pay us a visit for the purpose of offer a presentation of
> data warehousing.

Indeed I did make that request. :)

> I am happy to report that I was contacted by
> Greenplum, and they've tentatively offered to visit us some time in
> the future.

Very cool!
> Since the purpose of the visit is open for discussion, I wanted to put
> a call out to our little community to see if anyone was interested in
> any specific topics they would like Greenplum to develop.

Well I would like to see:

1) How people are using the product?
2) What types of markets/industries?
3) Why use greenplum vs stock postgresql 8.3.1 (or similiar/later
versions, which appear to have a lot of the db features greenplum added
rolled in).
4) What sort of data is being stored? (I'm interested in geospatial data
as well as transaction records/purchase histories.).

I'm sure other people will have certain types of data they might want to
warehouse. :)

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com