Re: Plans for 8.4

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Plans for 8.4
Date: 2008-07-22 16:37:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Simon Riggs wrote:
> * Logical replication via transaction log
> * Integration with synchronous replication

I'm curious on what you mean by these two points. AFAIK you are speaking
of "logical" replication for methods which don't rely on the internal
storage format of the database, but instead replicate closer to the SQL
level. But the transaction log (the XLOG for Postres, REDO log for
Oracle, etc..) is certainly bound to the storage format, so I'd classify
the log shipping approaches as "physical" replication. What is it you
are talking about?

What do you plan to integrate with synchronous replication?

Did you consider having a look at the Postgres-R project?

Regards

Markus Wanner