Re: Fwd: Proposal - UUID data type

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Kless <jonas(dot)esp(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Proposal - UUID data type
Date: 2008-07-14 18:47:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kless wrote:
> I write here the answer of Jerry Stuckle [1] because it looks me
> interesting and enough logical.

Jerry's answer isn't a real answer - and we don't care what MySQL does
or does not do. PostgreSQL developers are not going to invest time into
helping you get a feature into MySQL - if this is what you are trying to
do, please stop.

MySQL didn't implement SQL-standards views until what - MySQL 4 or 5?
Obviously "standards" is not their goal either. In Open Source / Free
Software, the free contributions are from people with itches that they
scratched. In a company like MySQL, it is more about business value or
somewhere in between. I was a MySQL 3.x/4.x user until I learned
PostgreSQL, and I have no intention of going back. They have so many
incorrect assumptions built into their system, that I chose to switch
databases instead of arguing with them. It's not worth my time, and I
don't intend to go back. So, I will not be helping you get UUID into
MySQL because I just don't care about MySQL...

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark(at)mielke(dot)cc>