Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-05 19:47:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> If those aren't enough questions, what else must we ask? Or maybe they
> aren't the right questions at all --- maybe we should ask "is this a
> dedicated machine or not" and try to extrapolate everything else from
> what we (hopefully) can find out about the hardware.

I think probably a combination of high and low-level questions and make
the low-level (more specific) questions optional since some users may
not be able to provide low-level info. Here's a rough idea of how I
envision this tool should work.

$ pg_config_wizard

Is this machine dedicated to Postgres? (y/n) n (now tool
auto-discovers available HW resources)
Your system has 32GB memory. What percentage do you want to allocate to
Postgres? (1=50%, 2=33%, 3=25%, etc) 1
What type of workload? (OLTP, DSS, etc)

At the end, the tool runs for a while checking to see if certain
thresholds are reached to determine which parameters need to be
increased. The tool would change the parameters causing the
bottlenecks, rerun Postgres/workload, and iterate a few times until the
results are satfisfactory. Write the recommended settings to
postgresql.conf.recommend and let the user update postgresql.conf
himself or whatever.

I update my postgresql.conf, rerun the app and see 100% increased in
throughput :-)

-Robert