Re: WIP: Pg_upgrade - page layout converter (PLC) hook

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: Pg_upgrade - page layout converter (PLC) hook
Date: 2008-05-17 20:40:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus napsal(a):
> Zdenek,
>
>> Unfortunately, this approach does not work between layout 3 and 4. It
>> works only for heap on platfrom with maxallign=4.
>>
>> The main problem is that PageHeader has been extended to 24 bytes and it
>> requires reindexing, TOAST chunk resizing, converted tuples does not fit
>> on page on platform where maxallign=8.
>>
>> I'm now working on offline conversion method.
>
> Hmmm. I thought we determined earlier that the use case for *offline*
> binary conversion was rather limited. It would have to be 10x faster than
> dump/reload to be worthwhile. Do you think this is possible?

It is difficult to say without prototype. However, binary conversion can be
performed without (or minimal) WAL logging and without sync. I think async write
is a big improvement. And there is not problem convert tables in parallel mode.
And of course you don't need bin<->text<->bin conversion. Unfortunately reindex
is necessary in both cases.

Zdenek