Re: get rid of psql welcome message

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date: 2008-04-19 18:07:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I realize that, but my point is that when they type 'help', they don't
> get help; they just get details on the help options, and then they get
> help.

oh... hmpf.

> How about:
>
> \? for psql help, \h for SQL help
> \g or ';' to execute a query
> \q to quit

This would be more in line with our current process sure. However
something a little more radical might be cool :)

help
returns:
\g to execute query
help psql for psql help
help sql for sql help

Of course we would keep the pre-existing key sequences for those of us
that have done this for the last decade :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake