Re: Patch to show individual statement latencies in pgbench output

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to show individual statement latencies in pgbench output
Date: 2010-08-12 23:13:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Aug12, 2010, at 19:48 , Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> Florian Pflug wrote:
>>> Attached is an updated version (v4).
>
>> I've attached a v5. No real code changes from Florian's version, just
>> some wording/style fixes and rework on the documentation.
>
> I'm looking through this patch now. It looks mostly good, but I am
> wondering just exactly what is the rationale for adding comment
> statements to the data structures, rather than ignoring them as before.
> It seems like a complete waste of logic, memory space, and cycles;
> moreover it renders the documentation's statement that comments
> "are ignored" incorrect. I did not find anything in the patch history
> explaining the point of that change.

To be able to include the comments (with an average latency of zero) in the latency report. This makes the latency report as self-explanatory as the original script was (Think latency report copy-and-pasted into an e-mail or wiki). It also has the benefit of making the line numbers of the latency report agree to those of the original script, which seemed like a natural thing to do, and might make some sorts of post-processing easier. It does make doCustom() a bit more complex, though.

Anyway, I guess the chance of adding this back is slim now that the patch is committed. Oh well.

Thanks for committing this, and
best regards,
Florian Pflug