Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Mark Mielke" <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-07 22:06:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Gregory Stark escribió:
>
>> For what it's worth I think GIT is a better fit for our needs.
>
> Perhaps it would be, if it worked on Windows ... Not that I care, but I
> bet Magnus would.

There's fairly good tools to convert from one version control system to
another. Especially: from CVS to others. And it can be done in an
incremental fashion.

Therefore, we can provide mirrors of the CVS repository in multiple
formats. And those mirrors exist already, I remember a GIT and a
Subversion mirror off the top of my head, and I bet there's others.
After we have that, the master version control system used doesn't
matter for developers (except committers), as everyone can choose to use
whichever mirror he wants. The patches submitted to pgsql-patches will
look exactly the same regardless of the version control system the patch
submitter used to check out the source code.

We can agree to disagree. No need for the project to switch.

Personally, I've been playing with GIT recently, and it does feel quite
nice. The mirror seems to be missing all tags, but other than that, I've
been happy with it.

--
Heikki Linnakangas