Re: JDBC connection problem

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC connection problem
Date: 2008-02-05 06:05:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Brian Tomaszewski wrote:
> I am having trouble connecting to a psql database running on Debian
> GNU/Linux system
>
> The version of psql I am using in the system is 8.2.6.
>
> No matter what I do, I continually am getting the error:
>
> /Backend start-up failed: FATAL: database "RW_GEO" does not exist
>
> /when my JDBC component tries to connect using a URL like this:
>
> jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/RW_GEO
>
> from a tomcat app
>
> I have confirmed that the database RW_GEO does in fact exist as I can
> see/query tables from it from psql.
>
> Also, when I run my app on my development machine (windows), I can
> connect via tomcat with no problems to my local psql server.

I'm trying to follow your runtime environment, but some pieces are
missing. When you say you can query the database running on Debian
using psql, is that psql running on your Windows box or on the Debian
box? I don't think this has anything to do with JDBC. The URL you show
above has "localhost" as the server for the DB. That's probably not
right, is it? I wouldn't think you'd have Tomcat running on your
database server.

So, run psql from whatever box is running Tomcat, and figure out how to
connect it to your DB server. Once you've done that, you should be able
to just transfer the connection settings to JDBC. I'm anticipating once
you attempt to do that, you'll encounter a connection error. That's
because you need to update pg_hba.conf to allow access to your database
from remote hosts.

--
Guy Rouillier