Re: Dealing with big tables

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Mindaugas <ml(at)kilimas(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dealing with big tables
Date: 2007-12-02 23:13:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mindaugas wrote:

> And I cannot use some index organized table or table partitioned by From :) because there are at least 2 similar indexes by which queries can be executed - From and To.

This makes things a bit tough. One trick is to vertically partition the
table into two new tables - with "From" in one and "To" in the other...
then you can (horizontally) partition or cluster on each of these
columns separately.

You can make it reasonably transparent by using a view to combine the
columns again to get something that looks like the original table.

Cheers

Mark