Re: I want to search my project source code

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I want to search my project source code
Date: 2007-10-28 05:59:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Matthew Wilson wrote:
> I have a lot of code -- millions of lines at this point, written
> over the last 5 years. Everything is in a bunch of nested folders.
>
> At least once a week, I want to find some code that uses a few modules,
> so I have to launch a find + grep at the top of the tree and then wait
> for it to finish.
>
> I wonder if I could store our source code in a postgresql table and
> then use full text searching to index. Then I hope I could run a query
> where I ask for all files that use modules X, Y, and Z.

DBMSs are great tools for the right job, but IMO this is not the right
job. I can't see how a database engine, with all it's transactional
overhead and many other layers, will ever beat a simple grep
performance-wise. I've used Eclipse for refactoring, but having done it
once, I'm sticking with grep.

--
Guy Rouillier