Re: A Silly Idea for Vertically-Oriented Databases

From: Avery Payne <apayne(at)pcfruit(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A Silly Idea for Vertically-Oriented Databases
Date: 2007-09-07 22:38:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

<head>
</head>

&lt;my ramblings snipped&gt;

&gt;If someone writes the rest of the code, I doubt the syntax will be the
&gt;holdup. But writing an efficient C-store table mechanism is much harder
&gt;than I think you think it is; Vertica worked on it for a year and failed,
&gt;and Paraccel took two years to succeed. FYI, Paraccel is based on
&gt;Postgres.

&gt;So, put up a pgfoundry project and start hacking a c-store table; I'm sure
&gt;you;ll get interest if you can make something work.

&gt;--
&gt;--Josh

Well, I did say it was a *crazy* idea. :-)

Given that I would be starting from the ground-floor, learning not only
the innards of PostgreSQL but also C coding as well, I would probably
have to overcome near-insurmountable odds to make this project take off. Still,
if I was crazy enough to think it, maybe I'll be crazy enough to
try for it. ;-)

Just ignore my 2nd posting, I was trying to clarify some of the
ramblings I was typing.

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 1.1 KB