Re: default_text_search_config and expression indexes

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: default_text_search_config and expression indexes
Date: 2007-08-10 13:57:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Removing the default configuration setting altogether removes the 2nd
>> problem, but that's not good from a usability point of view. And it
>> doesn't solve the general issue, you can still do things like:
>> SELECT * FROM foo WHERE to_tsvector('confA', textcol) @@
>> to_tsquery('confB', 'query');
>
> True, but in that case you are specifically naming different
> configurations, so it is hopefully obvious you have a mismatch.

There's many more subtle ways to do that. For example, filling a
tsvector column using a DEFAULT clause. But then you sometimes fill it
in the application instead, with a different configuration. Or if one of
the function calls is buried in another user defined function.

I don't think explicitly naming the configuration gives enough protection.

--
Heikki Linnakangas