Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Derek Rodner <derek(dot)rodner(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date: 2007-08-08 17:18:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Derek Rodner wrote:
> I am not saying we did not tell the truth and we absolutely did. This is the first distribution for Postgres that is packaged in this fashion with a graphical installer and the like. The title of that press release is accurate.

Or in other words this is the first distribution labeled "EnterpriseDB
Postgres". If you put enough and's nto your explanation it will
eventually be first. Though these and's were not in your press release.

I do think this language harms PostgreSQL because it makes it sound like
previously it was only available in unprofessional packaging, which
implies this PostgreSQL thing just for the first time made it out of the
world of "oh this is fun to hack on" stage and anyone doing anything
with a previous PostgreSQL distro was either toying or on the absolute
bleeding edge (or over the edge).

I find this release especially disturbing since we just went over this a
few weeks ago. But I guess its time to stop trying to fix this behavior,
its more a question of just accepting it. While its mighty annoying, I
guess it does not offset the good things EDB contributes.

So it goes.

regards,
Lukas