Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date: 2007-08-08 16:11:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2007 17:14 schrieb Lukas Kahwe Smith:
>>> Certainly not the first,
>> Barring pgInstaller, it's the first bundled distribution I recall seeing
>> available at no cost.
>
> Mammoth PostgreSQL was doing this quite some time ago. We found that it
> was better to insure support of the surrounding projects so that all the
> Pg packages could make it upstream.

You were including server, admin tools and drivers in a point 'n' click
distro-independent installer? I thought Mammoth was a rebranded server
(now community standard).

> That is why we have so many packges in FC (for example now). Go Devrim!

Absolutely - and we hope that will continue, just as I will be
continuing with pgInstaller.

The EDB Postgres distros are aimed squarely at new users and those that
want a quick and easy install - we don't want them to have to understand
all the contrib module options in pgInstaller, or figure out the right
combinations of RPMs (not forgetting the libpq-compat one!), and then
install and configure a webserver, find some admin tools, work out where
the driver websites are etc.

We want these users to just download, run and get hooked. Later, when
they decide to deploy, thats when they might choose to switch to the RPM
distros or pgInstaller, so they can tailor their production systems to
their precise needs.

Regards, Dave