Re: how to detect the backup database every day

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: son(at)raider(dot)co(dot)nz
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to detect the backup database every day
Date: 2007-08-07 12:28:07
Lists: pgsql-general

son(at)raider(dot)co(dot)nz wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I use a crontab job to backup and restore my database every midnight every
> day (using pg_dump and restore...)
>
> My cron job run well for a while. However, today I discovered that my
> database was not restored for one month.
>
> I also fix the problem as there is corruption in the script.
>
> My question is how I can detect whether the backup or restore processes is
> corrupted. I donot want that my backup database is one month old -:(

Well, if the script failed with an error, cron should have sent you an
email (or the user the script runs as, anyway).

If you didn't have an error, you could run a separate cron that checks
whether there are recent backup files and emails you if not (find ...
-mtime -1).

Or, if you want to make sure the restore has worked check the database
for a row with a recent timestamp.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd