Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight
Date: 2007-08-03 16:24:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Greg Smith wrote:

> I tried to keep the text punchy by hitting the important points and
> leaning heavily on references in lieu of trying to include all the
> details in the document. I feel like the "Join Complexity" section is
> still a little lightweight and could use more input. I'm happy with the
> rest, but they could certainly benefit from some review by others. Josh
> in particular should take a look at how I covered the recent Sun
> benchmark results to make sure I'm fairly characterizing those.

One major difference of MySQL is that it provides SQL hints. This
alleviates the issues with slow complex joins, but is obviously a
dangerous tool if not used wisely. That being said, it can often be a
very quick fix, whereas in PostgreSQL you do not have such tools if you
ever need them.

regards,
Lukas