Re: Linux distro

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux distro
Date: 2007-08-03 00:21:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Browne wrote:

> The server does not need the overhead of having *any* of the "X
> desktop" things running; it doesn't even need an X server.
>
> You don't need X running on the server in order use those "enterprise
> management" tools; indeed, in a "lights out" environment, that server
> hasn't even got a graphics card, which means that an X server *can't*
> be running on it.

Well, sure it can. Nothing says a X server has to write directly
to a graphics card or anything. It could write to some frame
buffer in memory and allow access to it through VNC, for example.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/attarchive/vnc/xvnc.html

But of course I agree it makes no sense for a database server
to also be running a GUI server; and ideally not even wasting
electricity and space in the box for a graphics chip or monitor
connector.