Re: Linux distro

From: Edward Macnaghten <eddy(at)edlsystems(dot)com>
To: paolo(at)ecometer(dot)it
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux distro
Date: 2007-08-01 12:17:11
Lists: pgsql-general

paolo(at)ecometer(dot)it wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I bought a Dell server and I am going to use it for installing PostgrSQL
> 8.2.4. I always used Windows so far and I would like now to install a
> Linux distribution on the new server. Any suggestion on which distribution
> ? Fedora, Ubuntu server, Suse or others?

There is no "right" answer to this.

For a Postgres server though I would probably not go for Fedora or
Ubuntu as they are more desktop oriented and have frequent updates and
relatively short life cycles. If I were to recommend anything I would
suggest CentOS - or even RHEL if you need enterprise level
support/certification.

Eddy