Re: dblink connection security

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink connection security
Date: 2007-07-09 03:42:50
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
>> My objection is that I think we should still revoke access for non-superuser
>> by default. The patch makes granting execute reasonable for most users but
>> nonetheless it shouldn't be the default.
>
>> Being able to connect to a postgres server shouldn't mean being able to open
>> tcp connections *from* that server to arbitrary other host/ports.
>
> You forget that dblink isn't even installed by default. I could see
> having some more verbiage in the documentation explaining these possible
> security risks, but making it unusable is an overreaction.

Agreed.

If you are going to argue that we should revoke access for
non-superusers by default for dblink, then you are also arguing that we
should do the same for every function created with any untrusted language.

E.g. as I pointed out to Robert last week, just because an unsafe
function is created in plperlu, it doesn't mean that a non-superuser
can't run it immediately after it is created. There is no difference. It
is incumbent upon the DBA/superuser to be careful _whenever_ they create
any function using an untrusted language.

Joe