Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: David Levy <dvid(dot)levy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2
Date: 2007-05-07 22:14:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

Bill Moran wrote:

>> David Levy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am about to order a new server for my Postgres cluster. I will
>>> probably get a Dual Xeon Quad Core instead of my current Dual Xeon.
>>> Which OS would you recommend to optimize Postgres behaviour (i/o
>>> access, multithreading, etc) ?
>>>
>>> I am hesitating between Fedora Core 6, CentOS and Debian. Can anyone
>>> help with this ?
>> Well you just described three linux distributions, which is hardly a
>> question about which OS to use ;). I would stick with the long supported
>> versions of Linux, thus CentOS 5, Debian 4, Ubuntu Dapper.
>
> There used to be a prominent site that recommended FreeBSD for Postgres.
> Don't know if that's still recommended or not -- but bringing it up is
> likely to start a Holy War.

Heh... I doubt it will start a war. FreeBSD is a good OS. However, I
specifically noted the Dual Xeon Quad Core, which means, 8 procs. It is
my understanding (and I certainly could be wrong) that FreeBSD doesn't
handle SMP nearly as well as Linux (and Linux not as well as Solaris).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake