Re: Indexam interface proposal

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexam interface proposal
Date: 2007-03-19 13:56:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>> Right, except that flag is per operator in operator class, and what
>> I'm proposing is that the index could pass a flag per tuple in the scan.
>
> That might make sense even for GiST. Sometimes complex compressions is
> used in GiST opclasses. If indexing value is rather small then it's
> stored in index as is, but large value is compressed with lossy
> techniques. So, GiST might return a tuple which is allowed to not recheck.

Interesting. So we'd add a flag to the index tuples in GiST indicating
if the tuple is lossily compressed or not. The compress-function would
set that flag when it performs lossy compression, and gistgettuple would
return it to the caller.

That would completely replace the current RECHECK-option we have, right?

--
Heikki Linnakangas