Re: Bitmapscan changes

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Bitmapscan changes
Date: 2007-03-12 20:57:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Simon Riggs wrote:

>> At this point I'm feeling unconvinced that we want it at all. It's
>> sounding like a large increase in complexity (both implementation-wise
>> and in terms of API ugliness) for a fairly narrow use-case --- just
>> how much territory is going to be left for this between HOT and bitmap
>
> HOT and clustered indexes have considerable synergy. In many tests we've
> got +20% performance with them acting together. Neither one achieves
> this performance on their own, but together they work very well.

To clarify, Simon is talking about DBT-2 tests we run in November.
Clustered indexes don't require HOT per se, but on TPC-C the performance
benefit comes from reducing the amount of I/O on the stock table and
index, and that's a table that gets updated at a steady rate. Without
HOT, the updates will disorganize the table and the performance gain you
get from clustered indexes vanishes after a while.

--
Heikki Linnakangas