Re: Why don't dumped files parse in pgAdmin3 query editor?

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why don't dumped files parse in pgAdmin3 query editor?
Date: 2007-03-05 15:35:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/03/2007 15:28, dlivesay(at)covad(dot)net wrote:

> Here's something I've always wondered. When you dump a database, the dumped file
> looks like ordinary SQL, but if I load it into a query editor window and try to
> execute it, I always get syntax errors. The specific errors vary, but it always
> makes it impossible to reload the data that way.

That's because theses files contain psql-specific "backslash" commands
as well as ordinary SQL - if you look at what the errors tell you,
you'll probably see that they come from lines containing such commands.
As I understand it, the plain-text output of pg_dump is intended to be
restored via psql.

Ray.

rod(at)iol(dot)ie