Re: php professional

From: Tim Tassonis <timtas(at)cubic(dot)ch>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: php professional
Date: 2007-02-22 16:19:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> totally off topic,
>
> Tim Tassonis schrieb:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> My definition is, "toy used/trumpeted by pseudo-professionals as a
>>> professional tool, when it just doesn't measure up".
>>
>> Boah, here surely speaks a true professional playing in the league of
>> Donald Knuth or even Alan Kay, as opposed to all the pseudos like me
>> out there.
>>
>> Is it Assembler or Smalltalk you write your web pages with?
>
> No, python, java ;)
>
>> PHP absolutely is a professional tool as a scripting language, of
>> course with all the downsides of any scripting language. I'll choose
>> php over
>
> Well no. PHP is not a professional language because it has no really
> design - and that has nothing to do with the fact it beeing a scripting
> language. Its a bad scripting language. (Say namespaces for example,
> confusing function interfaces, unicode flaws, missing usable frameworks,
> silly type handling, quoting hell)

- What do you mean by confusing function interfaces and unicode flaws?

- A lot of "professional" languages don't support namespaces and
frameworks are not part of a language, as I understand a language.

I think we really have different ideas about professional, can you point
me to a reference of your definition?

I'd definitely say that php is not really an all-purpose language, but
that doesn't make it unprofessional to me. C is not all-purpose, but
still professional.

>> Perl any day, as it is syntactically much cleaner and performs
>> sufficiently well for usual scripting needs.
>
> ah... yes. Dont like perl either but its at least carrying some
> actual language design.

Like what, as opposed to php?

>> Of course, I wouldn't write an operating system with it.
>
> Would you write a language with it? :-)

No, I actually solely write scripts with it :-) And web applications.
Guess what most people use php for.

> Btw, "professional programmers" can indeed use funny languages
> - they are professional by they earning their living with it.

I have yet to see an unfunny language.