Re: Multi-language to be or not to be

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date: 2007-02-11 18:26:32
Lists: pgsql-www

> I know adding translation capabilities was one of the big requirements
> for the last rewrite. But I'd still like to bring up the question -
> should we bother keeping it, or just get rid of it? We thought we had a
> need then, but do we still have it?

No we don't need them. Most of the non-english sites (I say most because
I am sure there is one, on some island in the Pacific that requires this
ability but only has 1 user) have their own language specific websites
already.

The reality is this, the majority (likely > 98%) is English speaking.
All development is done, in English, the code is in English.

The only substantial community out there that *may* not have english
speakers is JPUG and they have an entire infrastructure on their own.

The sites out there such as PostgreSQLFR that are in different languages
don't use the main Web code base anyway. They use their own.

Just my 10 cents.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/