Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches
Date: 2007-01-27 16:44:02
Lists: pgsql-general

> Anyway I think that a fair case could be made for dropping the 8.0
> branch now, and maybe 8.1 too, as far as Windows support goes. What
> you want to do going forward is a different decision --- these are
> edge cases because of the newness of the port.

Well as someone who has literally thousands of windows installations
(thank goodness we are not front line support for that). It would be
very helpful if the community did make a confirmed and public statement
about the lifespan of the Windows ports.

It would enable me to get certain customers to upgrade and stop wasting
energy on hunting bugs on unsupported or unlikely to be supported releases.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/