Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches
Date: 2007-01-27 08:41:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Bill Moran wrote:
> Does the PostgreSQL project have any similar policy about EoLs? Even just
> a simple statement like, "it is our goal to support major branches for 2
> years after release" or some such?

I've been considering only maintaining the current and previous 2
versions in pgInstaller (the Windows binary distro). But that's a *lot*
harder to maintain than just PostgreSQL because of all the bundled
stuff. In other words, when 8.3 is out, the 8.0 series gets dropped.

What do people think about that? Does anyone think it would be an
unreasonable policy?

Regards, Dave