Trouble creating database with proper encoding

From: Rob Tanner <rtanner(at)linfield(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trouble creating database with proper encoding
Date: 2007-01-22 22:17:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

This is my first venture into PostgreSQL.

I built and installer PostgreSQL 8.2.1 as part of a Xythos
installation. I added a user called xythos and now I'm trying to add
the initial databases that the product requires. From the command line,
I executed the commands:

createdb -U xythos -E UNICODE XythosDocumentStoreDB
createdb -U xythos -E UNICODE XythosGlobalDB

When I look at what I've done with psql -l, I get

List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
-----------------------+----------+----------
XythosDocumentStoreDB | xythos | UTF8
XythosGlobalDB | xythos | UTF8

I dropped the databases and recreated them with unicode (lower case) but
got the same results.

I didn't see any special configure/compile options for character
encoding, so what am I missing.

Thanks.

--

Rob Tanner