Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue
Date: 2006-12-02 23:09:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> (I should have thought a single file DB would be MORE liable to
> fragmentation, BTW).

The likes of Oracle/SQLServer preallocate the files(s) at database
creation time, so there will be little or no initial fragmentation.

However, they are typically allowed to grow to accommodate extra data -
this means that fragmentation over time *can* become a problem for these
guys too - but looks like we can suffer it from day 1.

Cheers

Mark