Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date: 2006-09-04 05:40:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I spent months on a working party on these and similar issues a few
> years back, in a commercial setting. One of the big issues is when you
> start tracking something. Bugs are a pretty simple case. Features are
> much harder to handle. Someone comes up with an idea. There is a lot of
> discussion. a consensus is arrived at to go forward. I think that's the
> point at which we start tracking, but it's a judgement call. What is we
> decide not to go ahead? Do we capture that in the tracker (with a
> resolution of "rejected")?

Exactly its a judgement call. The idea would be to try and pick up each
of the proposals in the discussion, summarize them in the issue tracker
or via a link to the wiki. This way people do not argue in circles all
that much (hopefully) and there is something to vote on. More
importantly there is something to point to if the topic ever comes up
again and the previous discussion did not lead to a decision. The
classic "read the archives" is just very suboptimal.

regards,
Lukas