Re: Intermittent "make check" failures on hyena

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Intermittent "make check" failures on hyena
Date: 2006-08-09 12:41:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Zdenek,
>
>> However what happened? I think that following scenarios occurred.
>> Postmaster listen only in one process and there are many clients run
>> really parallel. T2000 server has 32 threads ( 8 core and each has 4
>> threads). These clients generate more TCP/IP request at one time, than
>> postmaster is able accepted.
>
> I don't quite follow this ... are you saying that the regression test
> generate more than 128 connections? And that Solaris ships by default
> only allowing 128 connections?

Default is 128 for queue of TCP established socket, but not accepted. It
is called backlog (see man listen). This values is possible change by
ndd command. However problem is, that unix domain socket has different
backlog limit. This limit is 32 waiting request for accept and this
value is not possible setup. However, kernel patch 118855-15 increase
this value up to 128 - see bugid 4352289. New version of
solaris/opensolaris has bigger value - 4096.

Please, install latest solaris 10 patches on this machine and check if
it helps.

Zdenek