Re: 8.2 features status

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Lukas Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-05 15:31:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>I can assure you that individual developers were contacted about
>completing their items for 8.2, to the extent that some developers got
>upset at me because of my insistence. If they were hired by PostgreSQL
>companies and I had a relationship with their manager, their managers
>were informed as well.
>
>Jonah, who said the community wasn't clear it wanted his items
>completed, was part of that group. I see no need to mention the other
>people I contacted. Many of them completed their items, and Jonah
>finished some of his items.
>
>The fact is, the existing system worked as it should, though it is often
>invisible. We didn't get all the features we wanted, but that isn't
>because the system isn't working.

Thank you Bruce. That is good to know. Maybe the invisibility has led me
astray. I'll shut up now and see if I can actually get Enums and some
other good stuff done by this time next year. With any luck I won't be
quite as derailed as I was last cycle.

Also, I hope it's now clear at least that there are many people who want
to see recursive queries.

cheers

andrew