standard interfaces for replication providers

From: alfranio correia junior <alfranio(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: standard interfaces for replication providers
Date: 2006-08-04 08:54:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

We have just released an add-on to PostgreSQL supporting the GORDA
Architecture and Programming Interface (GAPI). This opens up support for
DBMS
independent replication middleware, aimed at eager and multi-master
replication in clusters and WANs.

The implementation of the GAPI is achieved in two steps. First, a set of
patches to the PostgreSQL server and a plugin provide the necessary
functionality with minimal intrusion. Then the GAPI is exposed in a
standalone Java process.

Note that this is not yet a complete replication solution. Instead, we seek
feedback on exposed features, their rendering as Java interfaces, and their
implementation on PostgreSQL.

Downloads of source code and documentation are available at:

http://gorda.di.uminho.pt/community

There you will soon find the same interface implemented on Apache Derby and
a replication suite based on group-communication.

We welcome the comments and suggestions of PostgreSQL hackers.

Best regards,

Alfranio Junior.