Re: pg_regress breaks on msys

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress breaks on msys
Date: 2006-07-19 16:08:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>

>>pg_regress now seems to break on Msys virtual locations:
>>Example from the buildfarm: http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=snake&dt=2006-07-19%2009:00:00
>>

>>================== pgsql.4660/src/test/regress/log/initdb.log ===================
>>The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>>

>>Surely this was tested when the original was prepared?
>>

>You can probably blame me instead of Magnus, because I did extensive
>fooling with the quoting of the commands issued by pg_regress ... and
>no, I don't have msys to test with, that's what the buildfarm is for ;-)

Neither do I right now.

>This error message seems pretty thoroughly unhelpful though. Any ideas
>what it's unhappy about?

I think we need to change the pg_regress error messages so that it
includes the command string that failed, at least for now.

Then we might know instead of speculating.

It will be either quoting problem or a vitual path problem, I am pretty
sure. The old shell script ran in a bourne-shell-like manner. But
calling system() from a C program will call the Windows command shell,
where the quoting rules are quite different.

cheers

andrew