Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze

From: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date: 2006-07-11 21:45:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Hannu,

Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Maybe this functionality could be lifted out of PL/Java and made
> available to all PL-s ?
>
> At least at some API level.

I think that what could be shared are the ideas and the semantics. The
API's that the backend currently expose will give you what's needed to
do the specialized implementations.

The actual PL mappings are all different because their respective
"executor" is different. Some languages are typed, others are not. Some
languages support classes and objects, others don't. Other, more
esoteric details like the use of a garbage collector or traditional
alloc/free semantics also affects the actual implementation.

I'm afraid there's not much in the PL/Java type system that could be
generalized and shared. Perhaps if we had other languages with very
similar capabilities (like C# for instance) but even then I have some
doubts. The good news in my opinion is that if PL/Java would make it to
the core it could make a good reference implementation for other equally
advanced language mappings.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren