Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date: 2006-07-11 14:32:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> What about licensing issues? Does PL/Java work with any entirely-open-source
> JVMs? If not, what is the legal situation for distributing PG+PL/Java?

Actually, Sun has re-licensed the JRE to make it OSS-compatible (it's
now available for Debian, for example) They're doing a Java licensing
session at OSCON if you have any specific questions, or I can ping the
Java Licensing Guru directly. But even if other JRE's aren't supported,
licensing shouldn't be an obstacle.

> I'm also a bit concerned about size. By my count, lines of source code:
>
> plpgsql 19890
> plperl 4902
> plpython 4163
> pltcl 4498
> pljava 1.3.0 38711
>
> IOW pljava is (already) bigger than the other four PLs put together.

That is odd. Thomas?

> I'm inclined to think that pljava is best off staying as a separate
> project.

I disagree. One of the things I'm asked by every single tech market
analyst, after replication & clustering, is whether we have support for
procedural Java. So it's something large-scale users want. If PL/Tcl
belongs in the back end, then so does PL/Java.

--Josh Berkus