Re: ToDo: fast update of arrays with fixed length fields for PL/pgSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ToDo: fast update of arrays with fixed length fields for PL/pgSQL
Date: 2013-10-03 07:14:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If you can do a update of some array in plpgsql now, then you have to work
> with local copy only. It is a necessary precondition, and I am think it is
> valid.

If the proposal only relates to assignments to elements of plpgsql local
variables, it's probably safe, but it's also probably not of much value.
plpgsql has enough overhead that I'm doubting you'd get much real-world
speedup. I'm also not very excited about putting even more low-level
knowledge about array representation into plpgsql.