Re: pg reserved words

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: Irina Gadassik <igadassik(at)standardbredcanada(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg reserved words
Date: 2006-03-10 13:09:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi, Irina,

Irina Gadassik wrote:

> I am trying to create a table freeze and it seems "freeze" is a reserved
> word, but I don't see it in
> the list. Also in a different table I cann't create a column freeze.
> However it is possible in MySQL and Ingres.

It is a PostgreSQL specific reserved word, see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-keywords-appendix.html

However, it is possible to use it quoted:

postgres=# create table freeze (foo int);
ERROR: syntax error at or near "freeze" at character 14
LINE 1: create table freeze (foo int);
^
postgres=# create table "freeze" (foo int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# select * from "freeze";
foo
-----