Re: Building Windows Server Extensions Using VC++ 2005

From: Charlie Savage <cfis(at)interserv(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Building Windows Server Extensions Using VC++ 2005
Date: 2006-03-04 17:35:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. The reason for building extensions with MSVC
on windows is to get access to the Micrsoft debugging tools since as far
as I can see MingW/GDB cannot debug dynamically loaded dlls on the
Windows platform (or at least I haven't succeeded at doing it).

Anyway, with the few minor tweaks mentioned this seems to work fine. I
guess I would be surprised if it didn't since MinGW is commonly used for
both creating and using DLLs on the Windows platform that integrate with
programs and dlls built with VC++. Other examples that work fine are
building extensions for Python and Ruby using MingW, when both runtimes
are built with VC++ (so the opposite case). Of course, this
compatibility might just be limited to the MinGW / VC++ combination, but
that's all you need for this to work.

Charlie